Being Pregnant I come across a lot of weird comments that are personal, funny and some are just plain rude! That’s what inspired me to write this post, to share some of the funny comments that were said to me and what not to say to a pregnant women, Just in case you didn’t know, or wasn’t aware.
One time I was at a coffee shop and a guy asked me what trimester I was in, I hesitated because I was NEVER asked that question, (I was just entering my 3rd trimester.) He explained to me that his wife was also pregnant, and was in the same trimester. I thought that was cute!
Below is a video I also put together to express how frustrated I was feeling at the time because of all the crazy comments I was getting. This is even a lesson for me to be a more sensitive to pregnant women as well, to encourage them, because you don’t know their situation, also having a baby at any age, no matter how many you have, can be scary.
Let me know if these are some comments you have said or have been said to you!
1. “Are you having twins/triplets? You look huge!” (Yeah, this is a comment every pregnant women looks forward to, a reminder of how huge she looks!)
2. “Did this happen before or after the deployment?” (I know being in the military community this is a common practice, after deployments usually a lot of spouses get pregnant, but don’t you think this is kind of personal?!)
3. You’re done now, right? (This is after they find out I already have 8yr old twins.)
4. How much weight have you gained so far? ( I know I have asked pregnant
5. You sure are going to have your hands full! (Its always nice to have encouragement!)
6. Get all the sleep you can right now! (Sleep?! what is that? Being pregnant, you don’t get a lot of sleep anyway!)
7. You’re breastfeeding, right? (I’m always surprised people ask this question this way. I had twins and was never able to breastfeed my son and it was devastating and a lot of work for me having boy and girl twins. I was only able to nurse my daughter, and give the bottle to my son, It’s hurtful when people say it like this when they don’t know a person’s personal history/story.)
8. Just think how hot it will be this summer when you have her! (Or: “You poor thing you will be pregnant during the summer!” (I Live in San Diego, CA not a humid place like South Carolina or Florida!)
9. YOU DON’T want to hear about people’s pregnant horror stories, (that’s just not good for anyone!)
10. The famous one of all: WOW! You’re BIG! You sure your not having twins again? (I almost expect this when I go out, the stares and the comments, who wants to hear that?!)