To achieve Happy, Healthy, Hydrated hair/locs from the inside out Eating healthy, Staying hydrated and exercise are key! I started this mini series as a way to promote hair growth by making healthy choices. I have 3 healthy recipes, in addition to their health and hair care benefits. Here’s part 2… Lentils are a super food for vegetarians, as they boost overall health. They’re an ideal source of folic acid, protein, vitamin B, which is so important for full, lustrous locks! Iron helps bring oxygen to the hair follicles, leading to growth and fullness. This is especially key if you have thin hair. Besides hair care, lentils are beneficial for preventing heart disease, increasing energy levels, improving the digestive system and regulating blood sugar levels. Also, due to their high fibre content, lentils reduce one’s chances of constipation and they soak out the cholesterol, thereby lowering the risk of heart diseases.
- 1 cup French green lentils, rinsed and drained
- ¼ small onion
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1 small cucumber, diced (1 cup)
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced (1 cup)
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Avocado (optional)
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
1. Place lentils, onion, and 6 cups water or veggie stock in large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 25 to 30 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Drain and cool.
2. Stir together lemon juice in large bowl with lentils, cucumber, tomatoes, avocado and oil; stir to combine.
3. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Chill 1 hour, or overnight. Serve topped with feta.
ENJOY! Check out Part 1 here.