A few years ago, I was watching a TV show, where a woman was a fashion writer for a magazine and she was sharing the story of what it was like getting started in her business, she began to explain that she was living in a small, one bedroom apartment in New York City and was beginning her career as a writer. She said that times were so hard that when she was hungry, she would literally buy a fashion magazine than food because she felt it feed her better.
WOW! To have so much passion to the point where that “career choice” feeds you, more than food, to continue to press through during hard times?! That’s AMAZING to me! Mainly because I can resonate with that…
About 5 to 6 years ago I was able to start a Bath & Body company called: Silk Spa Creations, where I hand-made natural hair and body products. About 3 years ago, my husband, being a Marine in the Military, got orders to CA, we were in SC. When we arrived in CA, I began to work the business and was VERY “successful”, to where I was able to get my products in spas, stores and other locations but the success I was feeling with this business wasn’t making my family happy, my husband began to tell me, He felt like I didn’t love him, my children weren’t doing good in school and my whole household was in chaos.
I stepped back and really began to ask God (Praying), what is going on? Lord, you called me to be an entrepreneur, why is all of this happening? He shown me that, as I was running my business, He wasn’t in the picture. Slowly He began to teach me the true meaning of success (Which is what I’m experiencing now) and how to do business His way. I came across the scripture John 17:4– “I have glorified you on earth my completing down to the last detail, what you assigned me to do.” This scripture has been my mission statement for my life and business. My goal and my definition of success is truly following after God and the purpose and plans He has for me.
The success I’m experiencing now, is not just with money, but with intentional time with my husband and children, which is TRUE fulfillment. I cultivate that more than my business, because of that:
- I was able to make and save money to go on regular date nights with my husband.
- Make some changes on my blog.
- My family and I were able to go to Los Angeles and San Francisco Debt FREE!
- Ultimately, I experience peace in building a new business God has put in my heart right now, I’m no longer so driven to the point my family is hurting, in this new season, I’m writing books and speaking about my testimony and giving God the glory and still very capable of being a Money Saving Mom, truly helping and blessing my family.
Right now, even though I was able to build my Bath & Body business, currently, God has that on hold and in the mean time, He has me speaking and sharing in my area of CA, about my New book: S.M.A.R.T. Goals for the Christian Entrepreneur.
In Crystal Paine’s Brand New Book: Money Making Mom, (How every woman can earn more and make a difference). She gives real life examples to encourage and challenge you to:
- Expand your thinking to consider multiple money-making ideas
- Dream Big and set long-term financial goals
- Forge an intentional path with clear priorities
- Nurture your unique skills, talents, passions and knowledge
- Conquer the saboteurs of insecurity, fear, lack of time and naysayers
- Shift your perspective to live more generously for others
- …and so much more!
In this book, Crystal shares that success in not all about money, but success is family and putting money in its right perspective. I LOVE that she gives her testimony about the struggles she has gone through in building her business and the strength it took to get to where she is now. This book encourages me, letting me know that I’m not alone in this Journey, that others are in the trenches as well, when it comes to their business. This book is for you mom, Whether your goal is to help support your family, pay down debt, or build a bigger cushion to help those who may be without, Money Making Mom is filled with inspiration and “Out-of-the-box” ideas to guide the next steps along your entrepreneurial journey.
Where are you in your journey as a money-making mom?