Before we get into the “Meat and Potatoes” of the episode, Here is the first interview we have with her. Kathryn talks a little bit about her blogging Journey, where she got started, how she came up with the name. I started like this in the beginning because I want to give you guys ideas on how you can get started with blogging.
How to get started with a blog
She shares steps to getting started with a blog: (What are your reasons for starting a blog and where do you want to go?)
- She asks people this question: 1- Do you want to start a blog as a hobby or business?
- If your answer is, Hobby, then start with: 2- WordPress.com or blogger.com <—- (How to video tutorial on starting a blog)
- If you want to turn this into a business: 3- Go to a self-hosted site: WordPress.org
- Once you made that decision to start a blog as a business: 1-It takes time 2-Commitment 3-Passion (you have to love this because it’s not a get-rich-quick plan)
Blogging as a business
She share’s tips on starting a blog as a business: (She talks about the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org)
- Difference between WordPress.com (You CANNOT make money) This is more for a hobby. WordPress.org (A site you can actually make money from).
- Get a WordPress.org site (She recommends BlueHost, there are others such as Godaddy)
- Get a domain name (You can get this at your hosting website, I listed above, or go to name cheap and transfer it to your website)
- Get a graphic designer or use WordPress Free themes to set you and make your website look pretty. (She has some designers she recommends for good price)
- Use FREE templates from WordPress as a starter
- Starting blogging right away. Writing out your blogging content
- Study other blogger names (that’s similar to your name) and once it’s picked out google the name, play around with words, do research
- She talks about the meaning of being self-hosted and being hosted on WordPress
- Tips on picking your own domain name for your blog (something you can grow with)
- What are your 3 main topics for your blog
- Write about what you love and passionate about
- Grow your blog content through social media, Focus on 3 main social media platforms, not all of them at once. She also shares her top 3 social media outlets she uses to help grow her blog.
- One of the most popular ways of growing your blog is Pinterest
- She shares her Pinterest strategy (“How to build your following on Pinterest”)
- 1- Create a board for your blog, 2- Have a board for your Main blogging topics, 3- Create a lot of boards, that are helpful and nice looking images 4-More boards equal more followers (sub-categorizing) 5- Joining Group boards 6- Start a group board 7- Pin, Pin, Pin = more followers (Get s scheduler)
- (PinGroupie.com) Search for group boards on Pinterest
- She also shares when to delete boards that may not be working for you
- How to organize boards (alphabetized)
- Read from others and learn about pinterest
- If you feel overwhelmed with pinterest or with promoting your blog, she has a course.
I pray these tips help with your questions on how to get started, Next part 2, will be on making money! Stay Tuned!