In the past couple of months, I’ve had several people ask me about podcasting. How I got started and how they can get started. I want to share with you some resources that have helped me and tips that keep me motivated as well. I’m not a professional podcaster, I’ve been doing it now for 2 years and I LOVE EVERY BIT OF IT!!!
I want to share what has helped me in the process of building and putting together my podcast. My story of how and why I got started, you can read here.
My podcast as grown a lot since I started and there’s still so much to learn but since then the number one thing I’ve learned about podcasting is to take it one step at a time and KEEP GOING!
Tips to get started…
Find your topic, you will be interested in talking about and listen to what other Podcasters are saying (Pun intended). You can go to iTunes (Apple users) and Stitcher radio (Android users). If you have any questions about adding your podast to iTunes, Check out iTunes website for more information.
2. Stay Consistent
When you start podcasting, it can be overwhelming, this website is AMAZING. This website, will help you get started with the basics of podcasting, it has a Free option and a paid program as well, to do deeper and learn more about podcasting. I linked the FREE option, it will show you the different programs to edit your podcast using either Mac or Chrome users. What I use is Garage band on my mac. I just “YouTube” the basic’s and learned from there, I’m still learning a lot.
3. Speak what’s on your heart
Once you decide whether or not you need a mic, (I don’t use a mic, right now, maybe later), Start recording. I use Garage band to record and edit all of my episodes and the website link, I mentioned talks about everything you will need to start recording, you can decide and also budget accordingly. You can also use Audacity, which is another FREE recording and editing program, that the website, I mentioned talks about as well.
4. Research, Research and Research
I talked about picking your topic, staying consistent and speaking from your heart. Once you decide to start your podcast, research your topic or Niche, you will be discussing. Once you start, get a Journal and write, write and write some more. For a FREE option to store all of you recording episodes you can go to Soundcloud and start there or you can go to another program I LOVE which is Buzzsprout. I LOVE them for a few reasons, #1– They are VERY helpful, any kind of crazy question, I had they were VERY quick to answer it. #2– They’re affordable. (Enough said). #3– They even show you other areas where you can promote your podcast, which I thought was cool.
5. Have FUN!!!
Don’t get so serious with podcasting that you lose out on the fun you can have with it. Many people will be listening to your podcast, getting to know you and maybe even changing lives. Don’t get so caught up in the “game” of podcasting that you lose the focus on the positive side podcasting.
I listen to a lot of helpful podcasts that helped and still helping me in my journey…
- Michael Hyatt is one of them, Here is a blog post he wrote about starting a blog in 20 minutes.
- He talks about starting a wordpress blog, which is a little advance, you can start with blogger and I have a post where you can start blogging and write your “Show notes”
- I also have a friend over at “Living my someday” she is a vlogger and blogger and shares how you can use a different platform called: Squarespace than blogger and wordpress. She is AWESOME!
- Another podcast, I believe is AMAZING called: Kingdom Driven Entrepreneur, great podcast and fun!
- Lastly, another good podcaster you can listen to is Belah from Delight your Marriage. AMAZING content you will love and marriage.